Click on the Illustration to get an enlarged picture
Just have a nice look at the illustration map above: depicting the relationship between climatic situations and poverty! It would be very clear that the poorest nations are those in the tropics. Now, let us look at a couple of “daily happenings” around us
- The other day this writer was interacting with a few villagers in a nearby small village (about 35 km from the huge metropolis of Bangalore). Suddenly, we heard a chorus of young school children singing: “Happy Birth Day to you!…..” It was a surprise to note this “new cultural outlook” in a village, where the school does not teach English; yet the children sing an alien Birth day Chorus!
- The southern State of Kerala in India has Cashew cultivation, which is a vegetation system exclusive to tropical climate. It was strange to note that the Kerala State Government had invited Agriculture Scientists from Denmark to study and report how the state could improve growth of cashew and related businesses. It should be noted here that Denmark is climatically close to the Torrid Zone, having absolutely no relationship in climate as well as in vegetation growth with respect to those in the tropics. And, more over, the Government of India has instituted a special Cashew Development Corporation, with well paid Indian Scientists and other support infrastructure for Research and Development. But, even these “learned” and knowledgeable personnel are “happy” to be trained by alien scientists, who do not have any worldly experiences of both the climate in the tropics as well as the vegetation systems here!
What do the above two seemingly unrelated happenings around us have in common?
If we carefully analyze the “inner significance” in the two cases we would note that there is an undercurrent of “slavish” mentality or behavior pattern in the two instances. This writer has observed such psychological degeneration in almost all aspects of socio-cultural and techno-economic programs in every tropical nation. Somehow, the entire tropical world seems to have become dumb (or “human dodos”), resulting in meek acceptance of alien ideas and alien ways of living, being considered “modern”.
A bit of History:
- To this writer, there are only Two worlds: the Tropical and the non-Tropical (although we could further differentiate the latter as Temperate zone and Torrid zone). While the tropical world holds more than 70% of all the resources of the Planet (based on its original source, the sun), the non-tropical world has the balance. This also pertains to human resource (population) as well as animal resource. The two worlds have had separate socio-economic and cultural developments over the millennia.
- Throughout the last thousands of years, the Tropical world has, by and large, been progressing in a natural manner, without looking for self aggrandizement and “over consumption”, although small pockets of “big powers” did exist, form time to time. This “natural way of living” had kept the original systems of village clusters and cultures in all these countries, intact (including those in India, which has had the greatest influx of aliens for over a millennium … China seems to be moving toward an impending “disaster” that no one seems to have noted… that of converting over a billion people under communist dictates into a totally different “meaningless” culture).
- The non-tropical world could be considered as having “developed” into a “conglomerate” in Europe – starting with the British, Dutch, French, Portuguese and Spaniards as the main “forces”. All of these groups started their “expeditions” (voyages to the “east”) into the tropical world (in the early 1400 AD). The local populations in all these lands have been (and continue to be) very docile and peaceful, allowing the aliens to actually “invade” their own lands. By 1500 AD, the “invaders” virtually took control of almost all the different regions, starting from the small Galapagos Island in the Pacific Ocean to the Philippines in the east (and controlling almost the entire tropical world). The new invaders plundered whatever they could lay their hands on (animals, material wealth, vegetation systems, artifacts of value…and so on). By 1600 AD, the entire tropical world became actual slaves of the non-Tropical world (better known today as the Western World)
- Over 300 years of colonial rule by the West in all these tropical nations destroyed the original communities; destroyed every original system of agricultural practices, local medicine systems, local governance systems, local education systems, and everything “original, including various vegetation and animal specie. The destruction is so huge that today we have the so-called Global warming, which has also resulted in the unimaginable Poverty of the Tropical world. Huge land mass were reconstituted for alien cultivations, in the form of Coffee, Tea, Rubber, Vanilla and the like, resulting in complete destruction of the original ecologies of the entire tropical worlds. Many local domesticated species such as cows, goats, fowls and other farm animals that had lived along with the local communities for centuries were totally destroyed
- Today’s local societies in the entire tropics are absolute “mental slaves” of the western world in every thing … and a condition has been reached whereby most countries (especially in Africa) cannot easily come back to gain their original identities. [Perhaps India alone seems a bit different in that not only the Democratic system but the very basic original culture that has “lived” for over 4000 years would help India to slowly limp back to its pristine cultural glory in the next one hundred years!!!]
- As an example, let us look at Ethiopia. This great ancient civilization has had superb “original culture” of human existence, through a natural wealth of water, vegetation, animal and beautiful natural surroundings. But then, like every other tropical nation, the “brain power” of the country has been purloined to alien lands, thereby the “original culture” and human systems have been destroyed beyond repair! Today there are more Ethiopian Doctors and Nurses in the US/ Canada than in their own lands!!! Further, recently the pristine fertile lands are being “offered” on lease to the western world for their food cultivation … being done under connivance of the local “rulers”
What are these so-called Developed nations as against Developing/ Under-developed nations? All these (and everything to do with whatever we are forced to “look at”) are coined by the Western Intellectual Traditions (WIT), which is an off-shoot of the experiences in the Temperate climatic world… and has absolutely no relevance to the ground realities in the tropical world. Unfortunately, almost all the “brain power” in these “developing nations” have become slaves of the WIT, forgetting to even “look at” the local situations, in spite of these regions being endowed with huge Renewable Resources. Thus, economic development is a condition that pertains to Local resources based development, based on local wisdom and local needs. Any amount of “alien” systems (whether industry or medicine) would only add to the “underdevelopment” of Local resources, making these nations more and more poor and indebted to the “others”
Please also see: What Ails India and other Tropics